Restore Google Nexus 7 To Stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware And Unroot It
Google is preparing to push the Android 4.2 update to Asus Nexus 7 users. However, if you installed a custom ROM on your tablet, then you aren’t eligible to receive the update therefore you need to find a way to restore your tablet to official firmware. It’s very easy to restore your tablet to the original Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software, but you need to follow the steps below carefully.
Right from the start, we have to warn you that this guide only works for the Asus Nexus 7, and if you attempt this on any other device, then you will most likely brick it so just stay away. In order to check your model, go to Settings -> About device. In addition, it’s worth reminding you that you should backup your tablet because all your data will be lost in the process therefore go to this link in order to find out how to perform a backup.
How To Restore Google Nexus 7 To Stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware And Unroot It
1. Download the Nexus Root Toolkit on your PC from this link.
2. Open the Nexus Root Toolkit file by double-clicking on the executable. This will install the application on your computer.
3. On your tablet, go to Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging. You have to enable USB debugging by checking the box right next to it.
4. On your Nexus 7, navigate to Settings -> Security -> Installation from Unknown Sources. You need to also enable the Installation from Unknown Sources option. Check the box next to it, and move on.
5. On your PC, open the Nexus Root Toolkit app.
6. Now, it’s time to connect your tablet to your computer using the USB cable.
7. In the NRT application, click on Backup. This will create a backup of your ROM just in case something goes awfully wrong. When the backup is compete, get to the next step.
8. Go back to the main NRT menu, and under the Back to Stock tab, select Device is on / Normal.
9. Now, click on the Flash Stock + Unroot button.
10. A popup will be displayed, and you will have to click OK.
11. Another message box will be displayed, and here you must select the Android 4.1.2 option with build JZ054K. You must also select the following choice: Automatically download + extract the factory image selected above for me.
12. Press OK.
13. The stock Android 4.1.2 build JZ054K image file will begin downloading, and it’s gonna take a while as the file is pretty large. After the download is complete, another pop-up message will be displayed. Here, select OK, and go ahead with the process.
14. The setup will automatically reboot your tablet, and then boot it in Bootloader mode. Then, it will check Fastboot status in order to detect the device. If it says that the device hasn’t been detected, then you need to cancel the setup, disconnect the tablet from your PC, reconnect, it, and then the setup will resume from Step 11.
15. When the setup has detected your Google Nexus 7, another pop-up box will be displayed, and you need to press OK in order to continue.
16. A command-prompt windows will show up, and the stock Android 4.1.2 firmware will be flashed on your Asus Nexus 7. When the process is complete, the tablet will also be unrooted, and you will be able to install official OTA updates from Google.
17. The process will once again reboot your tablet, and when you see a message saying Press any key to exit, it’s safe to close the command-prompt window
18. Disconnect your Asus Nexus 7 from your PC.
Let us know if this guide has been helpful to you.