How To Root, Unlock Bootloader And Install Recovery On LG Optimus G LS970
I think it’s time to unleash your Sprint LG Optimus G and start customizing it with the latest custom ROMs and widgets available on the Android community. Thanks to the XDA Developers Forum members, who managed to discover many different ways to unlock your smartphone’s bootloader, perform a root procedure and even flash a custom recovery image, you are now able to do things that many of you didn’t think that they can be done, until now. Thinks like GPU and CPU overclocking procedures, installing different apps that requires “Root access” such as “MyBackup PRO” or “Screencast”, increase the charging speed, turn it into a Google Nexus 4 device and many other interesting things.
All these procedures are available on the web, but it could take some time to find the right threads, especially if you are new in this branch. To avoid following instructions and guides provided by some unreliable sources, a XDA member decided to develop a tool that gives you access to all these 3 procedures in the same time.
The AIO tool has been specially developed for your Optimus G device and it gives you the possibility to root, unlock bootloader, flash a custom recovery image and even install the official USB drivers for your device. So, those times when you had to trace the individual threads are now gone, which means you will have more time for searching the custom ROM that you think it’s compatible with your personality.
The tool is also known as “GAIO”, so don’t worry if you see this name instead of AIO. Unfortunately, GAIO doesn’t work with a particular firmware of LG Optimus G and that is – ZV9, so in case you own an Optimus with this firmware version, then you shouldn’t use this tool.
Now, if you think you are ready to see the real power of your Android Optimus G smartphone, then it’s time to follow the next step-by-step instructions guide. See you on the other side!
Requirements and warnings
- The instructions provided in this guide are compatible only with the Sprint LG Optimus G, with the next model number: “LS970”. Using this guide on any other device or model can lead to some undesired outcomes, so it’s best not to take any chances.
- You can use this tool only on a computer that runs with Linux or Windows.
- Make sure your computer has Java already installed.
- Go to “Settings” on your LG device and make sure the “USB Debugging” options from the “Developer options” tab is enabled / checked.
- Giving the fact that you will unlock your device’s bootloader and root it in the same time, the battery life should be higher than 80%.
- This kind of procedure can delete some of your favorite files and data, and that’s why I highly recommend you to perform a full backup first. It’s better safe than sorry!
- Download the GAIO tool from this official source.
- Use a compatible USB cable to connect your device to the computer. Make sure your Sprint Optimus G is in “Charge Only” mode.
- Run the GAIO tool from your computer.
- A window should pop up on your screen asking you if you want to “Install Windows LG Driver”, in this case press “Yes”.
- Go to “Root LG Optimus G” and wait for the rooting procedure to complete.
- Go to “Unlock Bootloader” and in a few minutes your G’s bootloader will be unlocked.
- Go to “Install Custom Recovery” and select the custom recovery you think it’s best for your device. I recommend you ClockworkMod Recovery.
- When your device’s boots into “Fastboot” you won’t see any Fastboot menu, but you shouldn’t worry because is there. Just press the “Volume Down” button twice and you will be able to enter into Recovery Mode.
- You are done!
Congratulations!!! Your Sprint LG Optimus G LS970 is finally free and all this have been possible thanks to the XDA member “The Shadow1”, so I take the liberty to say “Thanks” in the name of the Android community.